We’ll Help You Answer The Questions You Need To Get Started Today

Let us guide you towards programs built around a brighter future.

Limited Time Only

Free To Use Laptop Computer*
(808) 237 -5140
  • Hidden
    MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

By submitting my data I agree to be contacted

Frequently Asked Questions

Financial Aid

Financial Aid can help you pay for college.

Our financial aid program helps students and parents determine the best way to pay for college. Financial aid funds can be used for the cost of education:

  • Tuition and Fees
  • Certifications

There are many types of financial aid, some based on need, others on merit. We encourage you to file an application to see if you are able to receive money for your college education.

Are you Eligible for Financial Aid?

You MUST have a high school diploma or the recognized equivalent of a high school diploma.

You MUST be accepted or enrolled as a CLASSIFED student seeking a degree or certificate at Hawaii Medical College. Hawaii Medical College must be listed as your “Home Campus”. You must be enrolled at least half time to be eligible for Financial Aid.

You MUST meet the terms of Hawaii Medical College Financial Aid Office Satisfactory Academic Policy (SAP).

You MUST be a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen.

If you meet the eligibility requirements above, your next step is to apply. If you have any question or need help, contact the Financial Aid Office: in person, by phone or email.

Financial Aid Office Information

Hours: Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Address: 1221 Kapiolani Blvd., Suite #644, Honolulu, Hawaii 96814
Phone: (808) 427-2146
Fax: (808) 237-5806
Email: [email protected]
Federal School Code: 041822-00

How to Apply for Financial Aid?

  • Gather all your documents, such as your 1040 Federal Tax Forms and W2(s).
  • Create an FSA ID at fsaid.ed.gov. The FSA ID gives you access to Federal Student Aid’s online systems and can serve as your legal signature. If your parents are required to provide information on the FAFSA, they must also apply for an FSA ID. (NOTE: If you have previously applied for a Personal Identification Number (PIN), it will no longer be requested. The PIN has been replaced with the FSA ID as of May 10, 2015.)
  • Complete the FAFSA on the WEB Worksheet and enter the information on https://fafsa.ed.gov.

Available Financial Aid:

You may be eligible for some of the federal, state and private financial aid programs, including:

  • Scholarships and Military
  • Loans
  • Grants
  • Work Study
  • Payment Plans

Financial Aid Loans and Grants:

Loans are borrowed funds that MUST be repaid with interest.

Grants are different from student loans. Grants are funds that are typically awarded based on financial need, and grants don’t have to be repaid.

Financial Aid Federal Work Study Program:

  • Federal Work Study is a program that provides both on and off campus based jobs to students with financial need, so that you can earn money to help you pay for your education expenses.

Payment Plans:

  • Payment plans may be available to you. Please contact a financial aid advisor for more information.

For the Federal Direct Subsidized or Unsubsidized Loan, the current origination fee (as of October 1, 2018) is 1.062%; for Direct Parent PLUS Loans, the origination fee is 4.248%. This percentage will be automatically deducted from the amount that you are going to request for.

During the 2019-2020 Academic Year, the interest rate for the Federal Direct Subsidized or Unsubsidized Loan is 4.53%; for Direct Parent PLUS Loans, the interest rate is 7.08%.

Do I have to reapply for financial aid?

You must apply for federal student aid for every school year that you attend. To reapply, you should submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you submitted a FAFSA last year, and you are eligible to complete a Renewal FAFSA, you may choose to have most of the questions pre-filled with the information you provided. Simply updating the information for the new school year on a Renewal FAFSA may be faster. However, the Renewal FAFSA is available solely for your convenience. If you prefer to start fresh with a new FAFSA, you are free to do so.

I don’t know if I qualify for financial aid. Should I apply anyway?

Yes. Many students feel that they don’t qualify for aid, possibly missing out on financial aid opportunities by not applying at all. The FAFSA stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid. It does not hurt to see what you do qualify for. The FAFSA is the main application for both grants and loans. Without the FAFSA, students are not qualified for any financial aid.

Does filling out a FAFSA mean I am required to take out a loan?

No. Completing the FAFSA looks at what funding you are eligible for. It is completely up to you if you want to take out a loan or not. Importantly, the FAFSA is just to see what you qualify for. This same rule also applies to any grants you qualify for. Though you qualify, you are not required to request for any of it.

My child is taking out a loan. Am I responsible to pay for them?

No. Parents are not responsible for the Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans. Students do not need to have a cosigner on those loans either, even if they are under the age of 18 because the “defense of infancy” does not apply to federal student loans.

If a parent is responsible for a loan, it would be the Federal Parent PLUS loan. Not all parents will qualify for the PLUS loan. As mentioned above, generally the student and the student alone is responsible for repaying any and all of their educational loans.

Do I have to make loan payments while I am in school?

No. Typically you have a six (6) month grace period from your last day of attendance (regardless if you withdraw, graduate, or get academically dismissed) before you begin any payments for loans.

Payments for loans will not be to the school, but to a loan servicer that is randomly assigned to you (Examples of those different loan servicers you can get assigned to are: Navient, FedLoan, Great Lakes, Nelnet, etc.).

Can I use a scholarship to pay for school?

Yes. If you are awarded any scholarship, please notify your financial aid advisor and the business office to readjust your award and payment plans. This means that if your scholarship covers any out of pocket costs, we can potentially decrease your loan amount.

Employment Assistance

Is there job help while I’m in school?

If you’re looking for a job while in school, Hawaii Medical College is here for you. Our flexible schedules make it possible to be working while attending getting your education. Our Career Services department works with students individually for employment assistance counseling.

Is there job placement assistance after I graduate from college?

We want you to be successful while in school and after you graduate. Our Career Services department works with students and graduates individually for career guidance and employment assistance counseling. We’re here for you immediately after you graduate and into your future — whenever you need us.

Do you offer child care assistance?

It’s our goal to remove as many roadblocks as we can for our students. One concern for many students is finding flexible, affordable childcare so that they can attend school. Our Student Services department can help you. They can connect you with programs that offer subsidies for different aged children. Among those available are PATCHChildcare ConnectionPre-school Open Doors, and others!

Military Benefits

Military Benefits

MyCAA Scholarship

Career Advancement Account for Military Spouses

  • Spouse of an active duty Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine service member, or activated Reserve member in pay grades E1-E5, W1-W2, or O1-O2.
  • If the spouse of National Guard and/or AGR member, the sponsor must be on federal Title 10 active duty orders as reported in DEERS.
  • Spouses of Guard/Reserve members in an Alert, Transition Assistance, or Post Deployment status are not eligible. MyCAA accounts will be limited to the new $4,000 maximum benefit with a $2,000 fiscal year cap. Waivers to the fiscal year cap will be available for spouses pursuing licensure or certification with a cost that exceeds the $2,000 fiscal year cap up to the total maximum assistance of $4,000.
  • Spouses must finish their program of study within three years from the start date of the first course.
  • Funding is limited to only Associate’s degrees, certifications and licensure programs.

GI Bill Benefits

  • The Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) is available for those who enlist in the U.S. Armed Forces. MGIB encompasses both the Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty (Chapter 30) and The Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606). Under Chapter 30, Active Duty members enroll and pay $100 per month for 12 months; and are then entitled to receive a monthly education benefit once they have completed a minimum service obligation.
  • The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Additional Resources

Academic Calendar
Transcript Request
College Catalog
Tuition Merit Awards

Let’s Make Things Happen

If you need a real career, are on unemployment, or just want to better help your family, we’re here for you.

“We provide the best vocational instructors, resources, and training in Hawaii.  Our job is helping you begin your new career successfully ”

Ashton Cudjoe

President & CEO

Limited Time Only

Free To Use Laptop Computer*
(808) 237 -5140
  • Hidden
    MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

By submitting my data I agree to be contacted